Neabsco Elementary School Counseling
Counseling Program Vision
The mission of the Neabsco Elementary School Counseling Program is to Strive for all student’s success, Take care of our community and respect everyone, Apply what we learn to both school and our community, Reach and celebrate our goals as a community of learners, and Shine bright together. We are NEABSCO STARS and stars shine the brightest when they are working together! This comprehensive, developmentally age-appropriate and sequential school counseling program that is aligned with the ASCA national stands for school counseling programs.
Mission of the Department
The program will focus on the needs, interests and issues related to the stages of student growth through academic, career and personal/social development. In partnership with students, staff, family, community and workforce, we strive to prepare students to become effective learners, achieve success in school, live successful and rewarding lives, and develop into contributing members of our society.
Beliefs and Philosophy Statement
- All students can achieve and deserve equitable access to resources and a rigorous curriculum.
- The dignity, culture, and social/emotional needs of every student is to be respected and valued.
- The school counselors will use data to continuously improve the school counseling program and to deliver services.
- The school counselors will plan and manage a comprehensive counseling program.
- The school counselors will advocate for the entire community of learners.
- The school counselors will collaborate with families, staff, and community resources to address student developmental needs, primary prevention,and continuous student achievement.
- The school counselors will abide by ASCA’s professional school counseling standards and ethics.
adapted from the Bull Run Middle School Counseling Department Philosophy statement and the Virginia Professional School Counseling Program Manual by C. Kaffenberger, T. Davis, S. Gilchrist-Banks, & T. Grothaus. VSCA: 2008
How can my student see Mrs. Brooks??
There are several ways that students can see Mrs. Brooks:
1. Student refers him/herself by placing a note in my box or asking a teacher to email.
2. Teacher referral: sometimes academic, many times for personal/social issues.
3. Administrative referral
4. Parent referral: If you would like for me to speak with your child about an issue, please feel free to contact me either by phone, email,or letter. I will work to speak with your child in a timely manner.
In addition, I am in each classroom at least once a month. Please be sure to visit the front office to see Mrs. Brooks' calendar.